Fort Dunlop | Sign Specialists Ltd

Fort Dunlop

One of the UK’s landmark buildings has been given a 21st century facelift with the help and support of Sign Specialists. To provide the latest, most prominent display, we were tasked with producing and installing illuminated signage to four sides of the building’s tower at heights of around 40 metres.

The architectural icon that is Fort Dunlop was built in 1916 and is immediately recognisable to users of the M6 near Birmingham where it towers over the southbound carriageway.

Once the world’s largest factory, the building was originally home to global tyre manufacturer, Dunlop Rubber Company. When large scale production ceased in the 1980s the site stood largely derelict until a major redevelopment programme twenty years later.

Reborn as a thriving commercial hub, the rejuvenated Fort Dunlop provides a truly modern setting for hotel, leisure and retail concessions as well as providing over 300,000 square feet of office space.

Along with the help of Nationwide Platforms, the UK’s leading provider of powered access, Sign Specialists were able to quickly and comfortably reach the desired heights and overcome the height challenge with minimum fuss.

Speaking on behalf of Sign Specialists, Simon Stokes said: “On a prestigious project like Fort Dunlop we knew it was essential for us to complete the task in good time with the minimum of disruption to site. Working with well-established suppliers we received an expert service and the most ideal product to keep our team safe and get the job done in line with our deadlines.”