Archive for Month: August 2015
With sites based across the UK, KIA Motors Ltd is one of the largest car manufactures in the world. Back in 2011, we were honoured to be awarded with a contact that saw us assist Kia Motors with their UK signage scheme and, commence roll out of the new style signage in September of that year. During 2011, we manufactured and installed 50 sites across the UK, increasing to 97 sites by 2012. Sign Specialists continue to progress the Kia Motors programme in line with the Kia Motors signage development scheme, liaising closely on each project. One project in particular, Beadles Coulsdon, was a high profile, prestige development by KIA Motors (UK) Ltd. It is the largest ‘red cube’ development so far attempted, with strict […]
The Barclaycard Arena is a world renowned sporting and entertainment venue based in Birmingham, UK. Since opening in 1991, it has welcomed millions of visitors each year to over 30 different sports and a variety of entertainment and music events. In 2012, plans to renovate the Arena were approved and Sign Specialists were chosen to provide the new look signage and way finding system. The plans included creating a show piece entrance, three needle light sculptures, a new glazed façade fronting the nearby canal and new pre-show hospitality elements. To complement the new look, state of the art Arena, a new wayfinding system was designed and manufactured with the intention of improving foot traffic around the Arena, as well as maintaining the buildings 21st century […]
In the heart of Salford Quays, between Media City and the Ordsall Riverside, the former Colgate-Palmolive factory is undergoing a major redevelopment. Renamed as Soapworks, the building is currently being revitalised with plans for future commercial, retail and entertainment opportunities. Whilst the exterior appearance of the factory and boiler house is set to change, the red brickwork of the chimney remains untouched and it is this iconic chimney that now hosts a spectacular statement of intent for the building’s future. The word “SOAPWORKS”, reaching a distance of 18 metres from the first floor windows, overlooks the Manchester Ship Canal and Pomona, Metrolink’s only elevated tram stop. Designed, manufactured and installed by Sign Specialists, the display consists of fabricated letters populated with red, green, blue and […]
The decision by Haldex to site their European Research & Development base within MIRA Technology Park, provided Sign Specialists with an opportunity to demonstrate their design flair and ingenuity. The original requirement called for LED illuminated flex-face boxes around the building, supplemented by a series of flag poles flying the Haldex brand and national flags of UK and Sweden. So far, so straightforward… However, when we were asked if we could assist with the internal fit-out, we really proved our mettle! Floor plans and brand guidelines provided our parameters but we wanted to personalise the environment, drawing a real connection between the employees and the technological advancements they are responsible for. Inspired by the design aesthetics of these often understated components, blueprint drawings were sourced […]
Our journey with Bloc Hotels started with their first development in St Paul’s Square, which has become one of Birmingham’s most desirable boutique destinations, boasting 73 rooms with innovative hi-tech features within an inspired and extremely stylish environment. Their second location is Gatwick Airport and this site called for one of the largest most prominent flex face boxes that we’ve ever designed. Notched, rolled and fabricated into the distinctive ‘bloc’ brand, we had to consider how we could deliver hardware of such a size across some extremely challenging site conditions. Located on top of the south terminal building itself, way beyond the reach of typical access equipment, we made use of two separate hoists to transport sections of the logo box across two roof levels. […]
Nestled in leafy and secluded Golf Lane, in the Suffolk seaside town of Aldeburgh, The Red House is the home of the Britten-Pears Foundation. Benjamin Britten (1913-1976) was one of the great composers of the twentieth century, and Peter Pears (1910-1986) one of its outstanding tenors. The pair lived and worked at The Red House from 1957. The redevelopment of the site was completed in 2013 to mark the centenary of Britten’s birth, and was generously supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Sign Specialists Ltd are proud to have provided way finding signage at this location, consisting of engraved and infilled marble monoliths, flush-fitted into free-standing, red aluminium structures.